The Task Force has established eight topical working groups. Each group is chaired by 1-2 Task Force members, and includes Task Force members, additional staff and faculty experts, and students.
The Working Groups are:
- Energy and Buildings
- Food and Water Systems
- General Supply Chain and Waste Management
- Land Use and Offsets
- Climate Preparedness
- Climate-Positive Economic Development
- Governance and Financing
Each sectoral Working Group’s remit includes relevant aspects of both climate mitigation and adaptation. Each Working Group is also considering cross-cutting themes, related to teaching; research; campus culture, engagement, and behavior; and climate-positive economic development.
Working groups are examining topics including:
- Compelling and impactful approaches Rutgers could pursue, along with their associated greenhouse gas emissions reductions, resilience improvements, financial costs and savings, and co-benefits
- Implementation pathways, timescales, and progress metrics
- Roles of different parts of the University, including approaches to overcoming institutional, organizational and cultural challenges
- Strategies for ensuring participation and accountability of the full university community and, as appropriate, external stakeholders
- Nexus to catalyzing broader, climate-positive economic development in New Jersey and incorporating equity considerations
- Key unknowns and gaps that require more analysis.